GS M Paper II
Polity and Governance
- Cabinet approves Model Tenancy Act for circulation to the States/Union Territories for adoption
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the Model Tenancy Act for circulation to all States / Union Territories for adaptation by way of enacting fresh legislation or amending existing rental laws suitably.
- The Model Tenancy Act aims at creating a vibrant, sustainable, and inclusive rental housing market in the country.
- It will enable the creation of adequate rental housing stock for all the income groups thereby addressing the issue of homelessness.
- The Model Tenancy Act will facilitate the unlocking of vacant houses for rental housing purposes.
- Cabinet approves MoU between India and the Argentine Republic on cooperation in the field of Mineral Resources
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to be signed between the Ministry of Mines, Government of India, and the Secretariat of Mining Policy of the Ministry of Productive Development of the Argentine Republic.
- The objectives of the MoU include cooperation for encouraging minerals exploration and development, including extraction, mining, and beneficiation of lithium.
- Avian influenza virus: China reports the first human case of H10N3 bird flu
- H10N3 is a low pathogenic, or relatively less severe, strain of the virus in poultry and the risk of it spreading on a large scale was very low.
Different strains of bird flu
- H5N8 is a subtype of the Influenza A virus (also known as the bird flu virus).
- While H5N8 only presents a low risk to humans, it is highly lethal to wild birds and poultry.
- In April, a highly pathogenic H5N6 avian flu was found in wild birds in northeast China’s Shenyang city.
- Influenza viruses are classified into subtypes based on two surface proteins, Hemagglutinin (HA) and Neuraminidase (NA). For example, a virus that has an HA 7 protein and NA 9 protein is designated as subtype H7N9.
- China and Central & Eastern European (CEE) 17+1 mechanism:
- Lithuania has justified its decision to pull out of the China and Central & Eastern European (CEE) 17+1 mechanism, which is seen as a pro-China grouping of countries within the EU. It has also denied that the decision came because of U.S. pressure.
- The 17+1 initiative is a China-led format founded in 2012 in Budapest with an aim to expand cooperation between Beijing and the Central and Eastern European (CEE) member countries, with investments and trade for the development of the CEE region.