GS M Paper III
- Beed Model of Crop Insurance in Maharashtra
- Maharashtra CM has urged the Prime Minister for state-wide implementation of the ‘Beed model’ of the crop insurance scheme Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bhima Yojana (PMFBY).
- Launched in 2016, the flagship PMFBY insures farm losses against support to the farmers in the event of failure of any of the notified crops as a result of natural calamities, pests & diseases.
- The premium to be paid by the farmers are:
- Kharif: 2%
- Rabi: 5%
- Commercial and Horticulture: 5%
- It is a central scheme implemented by state agriculture departments as per central guidelines.
- The objective of the scheme is to
- Stabilize agriculture income
- Encourage farmers to adopt innovative and modern agricultural practices
- Ensure flow of agricultural credit
What is Beed model?
- Located in the drought-prone Marathwada region, the district of Beed presents a challenge for any insurance company.
- Farmers here have repeatedly lost crops either to failure of rains or to heavy rains.
- Given the high payouts, insurance companies have sustained losses.
How the Maharashtra Govt modified the PMFBY guidelines
- During the 2020 Kharif season, tenders for implementation did not attract any bids. So, the state Agriculture Department decided to tweak the guidelines for the district.
- The state-run Indian Agricultural Insurance Company implemented the scheme.
- Under the new guidelines, the insurance company provided a cover of 110% of the premium collected, with caveats.
- If the compensation exceeded the cover provided, the state government would pay the bridge amount.
- If the compensation was less than the premium collected, the insurance company would keep 20% of the amount as handling charges and reimburse the rest to the state government.
- Cabinet approves allocation of 5MHz spectrum for railways to improve communication and signaling
The Prime Minister has approved the proposal for the allotment of 5 MHz Spectrum in 700 MHz frequency band to Indian Railways for public safety and security services at stations and in trains.
- Indian Railways has approved TCAS (Train Collision Avoidance System), an indigenously developed ATP (Automatic Train Protection) System, which will help in avoiding train collisions thereby reducing accidents and ensuring passenger safety.
- With this spectrum, Indian Railways has envisaged to provide LTE (Long Term Evolution) based Mobile Train Radio Communication on its route.
- The purpose of the LTE for Indian Railways is to provide secure and reliable voice, video, and data communication services for operational, safety, and security applications.
- It will also enable Internet of Things (IoT) based remote asset monitoring especially of coaches, wagons & locos, and live video feed of CCTV cameras in the train coaches to ensure efficient, safer, and faster train operations.
- US President and UK PM to sign “New Atlantic Charter”
- President Joe Biden and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson recently inspected documents related to the Atlantic Charter, a declaration signed by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in August 1941.
- The two leaders plan to sign what they’re calling a new Atlantic Charter, pledging to “defend the principles, values, and institutions of democracy and open societies.”
Original Atlantic Charter?
- The Atlantic Charter was signed by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in August 1941.
- The Atlantic Charter was subsequently incorporated as a reference in the Declaration of the United Nations.
- It inspired several other international agreements and events that followed the end of the war such as the dismantling of the British Empire, formation of NATO among others.
- Sports Minister launches Central Athlete Injury Management System for the training of athletes for Olympics 2024 and beyond
- Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports launched the Central Athlete Injury Management System (CAIMS), a first-of-its-kind initiative by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for streamlining the sports medicine and rehabilitation support offered to the athletes.