GS M Paper V
- Assam CM tables cattle protection Bill
- Assam Chief Minister tabled the Assam Cattle Preservation Bill, 2021 which would replace existing the Assam Cattle Preservation Act, 1950.
- States including Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, and Karnataka already have similar laws to preserve cattle and protect cows from being slaughtered.
- The bill restricts the sale and purchase of beef or beef products “within a radius of 5 km” of any temple or sattra (Vaishnavite monasteries) in the state.
The provisions under Assam Cattle Preservation Bill 2021
- The legislation aims to restrict the sale and purchase of beef by banning interstate transport of cattle in Assam.
- The Bill seeks to protect them by regulating their slaughter and consumption unless certified by a registered veterinary officer, to prevent their illegal transportation.
- According to the Bill, cattle above 14 years of age or those permanently incapacitated due to work, breeding, accident, or deformity will only be certified for slaughter.
- The Bill also does not distinguish between types of cattle – it includes “bulls, bullocks, cows, heifer, calves, male and female buffaloes and buffalo calves.”
GS M Paper III
- NTPC to set up India’s single largest solar park at Rann of Kutch
- NTPC Renewable Energy Ltd, a 100% subsidiary of NTPC, has received the go-ahead from Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) to set up 4750 MW renewable energy park at Rann of Kutch in Khavada, Gujarat.
- This will be India’s largest solar park to be built by the largest power producer of the country.
- Recently, NTPC has also commissioned India’s largest Floating Solar Project of 10 MW (ac) on the reservoir of Simhadri Thermal Power Plant, Andhra Pradesh.
GS M Paper II
- Vietnam’s First Honorary Consul General in India
- Vietnam has appointed Honorary Consul General of Vietnam in Bangalore to promote trade, economics, investment, tourism, educational and cultural cooperation between Vietnam and the State of Karnataka.
- Industrialist N.S. Srinivasa Murthy based in Bengaluru has been appointed as Honorary Consul General of Vietnam for Karnataka.
- He is the first honorary consul general of Vietnam from India. The appointment is for a period of three years.
- Look East Policy: The relationship was further strengthened when India, in the early 1990s, initiated its “Look East Policy” with the specific objective of economic integration and political cooperation with Southeast Asia and East Asia.
- In 2014, the ‘Look East Policy’ was graduated into an ‘Act East Policy’.
- Manipur gets its first Genome Sequencing Facility lab
- For the first time in the region, an Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomics Consortium (INSACOG) Sequencing Facility was formally inaugurated for detection of COVID variants in Imphal.
- A similar INSACOG facility was also installed at Jorhat, Assam. But there’s no report of its operation till date.
- NTPC to setup the country’s first Green Hydrogen Mobility project
- REL, a 100% subsidiary of NTPC, signed a MoU with Union Territory of Ladakh, to set up the country’s first green Hydrogen Mobility project in the region.
- The signing of the MoU was also marked with the inauguration of NTPC’s first solar installations in Leh in form of solar trees and a solar car port.
- India’s First Cryptogamic Garden
- Recently, India’s first cryptogamic garden was inaugurated in the Chakrata town of Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- The garden will be housing nearly 50 species of lichens, ferns and fungi (collectively known as Cryptogamae).
Factors Responsible for Location of this Garden:
- This garden is at Deoban in Chakrata at a height of 9,000 ft.
- This site is chosen because of its low pollution levels and moist conditions which are conducive for the growth of these species.
- Further, Deoban has pristine majestic forests of Deodar and Oak which create a natural habitat for cryptogamic species.
- A cryptogam is a plant that reproduces with the help of spores.
- The word “Cryptogamae” implies ‘hidden reproduction’, referring to the fact that they do not produce any reproductive structure, seed, or flower.
- Due to this, they are called “flowerless” or “seedless plants” or ‘lower plants’.