GS M Paper II
- Prime Minister inaugurates PRASHAD projects in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated various development projects in Varanasi which includes Tourist Facilitation Centre under the Project “Development of Varanasi under PRASHAD Scheme – Phase II”.
- And operation of Cruise Boat from Assi Ghat to Raj Ghat under the Project “Development of River Cruise in Varanasi under PRASHAD Scheme”.
About PRASHAD Scheme
- The ‘National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive’ (PRASHAD) is a Central Sector Scheme.
- It is fully financed by the Government of India launched by the Ministry of Tourism in the year 2014-15 with the objective of integrated development of identified pilgrimage and heritage destinations.
- It includes infrastructure development such as entry points (Road, Rail and Water Transport), last mile connectivity, and basic tourism facilities.
*Please refer to CA Analysis of 15th July 2021.
Important Government Acts
- Drop cases filed under Section 66A: Centre
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has asked the States and Union Territories to immediately withdraw the cases registered under the repealed-Section 66A of the Information Technology Act.
- This comes after the Supreme Court recently expressed shock that it was being invoked even six years after the apex court had struck it down.
What’s the issue?
- Even after 7 years of the law being struck down, as of March 2021, a total of 745 cases are still pending and active before the district courts in 11 states, wherein the accused persons are being prosecuted for offences under Section 66A of the IT Act.
- Section 66A had been dubbed as “draconian” for it allowed the arrest of several innocent persons, igniting a public outcry for its scrapping. This had led to the Supreme Court striking it down as unconstitutional in March, 2015 in Shreya Singhal v. Union of India.
About Section 66A
- Section 66A defines the punishment for sending “offensive” messages through a computer or any other communication device like a mobile phone or a tablet. A conviction can fetch a maximum of three years in jail and a fine.
Government Policies and Implementation Issues
- Draft Drone Rules, 2021
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation has unveiled the Draft Drone Rules, 2021 based on “trust, self-certification and non-intrusive monitoring”.
- The new rules would replace the existing Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Rules, notified in March, 2021.
- To create a “digital sky platform” as a business-friendly single-window online system for procuring various approvals.
- There will be minimal human interface on the digital sky platform and most permissions will be self-generated.
- Drone is a layman terminology for Unmanned Aircraft (UA). There are three subsets of Unmanned Aircraft- Remotely Piloted Aircraft, Autonomous Aircraft and Model Aircraft.
GS M Paper V
- Assam Budget 2021-22: Key takeaways
- Assam finance minister Ajanta Neog presented a ₹566 crore deficit Budget for 2021-22 on 17th
- Neog, who is the first female finance minister of the state refrained from levying any new tax on the public.
Highlights the Assam Budget, 2021-22
- A new scheme Assam Microfinance Incentive and Relief Scheme (AMFIRS) 2021 to be launched to give relief to distressed borrowers of microfinance loans.
- An Indigenous Faith and Culture Dept. to be set up and three departments ,viz., Directorate of Archaeology, Directorate of Museum and Directorate of Historical & Antiquarian Studies – to be subsumed under the new Department.
- Tamulpur is proposed to be created as a new district (35th).
- New Wildlife Safari and Rescue Centres to be set up at Dibrugarh and Silchar.
- Assam Cancer Care Foundation (ACCF) set up in partnership with Tata Trusts to establish cancer hospitals at Dibrugarh, Barpeta, Tezpur, Lakhimpur, Mangaldoi, Kokrajhar, Jorhat, Guwahati, Silchar and Diphu by 2022.
- Azgarh Wildlife Sanctuary to be declared in Goalpara district.
- Geographical area of Orang National Park to be expanded.
- Arundhati Gold Scheme Enhanced to 40,000.
- Chief Minister COVID Relief Scheme: To extend the wholesome support of the Government in form of financial assistance to the families not covered under Chief Minister’s Shishu Seva Scheme or Chief Minister’s COVID-19 Widow Support Scheme, an amount of ₹1 lakh shall be provided to the next of kin of a COVID-19 victim.
- Orunodoi: It is one of the largest initiatives for women empowerment DBT scheme. There will be an increase in monthly amount to ₹1000 per family from the current financial benefit of ₹830 per family.
- Asom Mala: An ambitious programme for the transformation of the state highways and major district road network to next generation high speed road corridors.
- Sonali Xaishab Bikkashit Axom: 1000 model Anganwadi Centre will facility of child care will be set up in order to make the Anganwadi Centres effective, facilities like proper running water, sufficient light and fan will be put in place.
- Blue Revolution ‘Sunil Biplab’: To encourage the community based fish culture by constructing village community tanks in all revenue villages of Assam.
- World Youth Skill Day: 15th July
- In 2014, the United Nations General Assembly declared 15 July as World Youth Skills Day.
- It is aimed to celebrate the strategic importance of equipping young people with skills for employment, decent work and entrepreneurship.
- The day was marked to achieve the Incheon Declaration: Education 2030, which is a part of Sustainable Development Goal 4 that urges to “ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.”
- 2021 Theme – “Reimagining Youth Skills Post-Pandemic”.